Old 23-07-2007, 02:58 PM posted to rec.gardens
Mike Mike is offline

Default Deer prevention

On Jul 23, 7:31 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Billy Rose" wrote in message

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"rachael simpson" wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

If you try the product John pointed out, please *DO* come back and
report
on its effectiveness. My own experience is that the deer get used to
ANY
gentle measures you may try. Eventually, you may have no choice but a
fence or a gun.

deer sausage.........yum!

A neighbor informed me today that one of his best friends is a cop who
lives
right around the corner. Theoretically, this cop may have a way of
cancelling the police response to a gunshot report, if he knows about it
ahead of time. I don't believe it, but there are 3 deer who think my
tomato
plants and daylillies are salads.....

I have a really good feelin' about this.
--
Billy

I don't.

However, I may pay a visit to the town supervisor and discuss another idea.
Every so often, in another part of town where there's a huge wooded park,
they do a "controlled hunt", using "expert hunters" (fellas who wear long
sleeve plaid flannel shirts with mismatched suspenders in summer) to thin
the deer herd because nearby residents complain that their plants, trees and
cars are being eaten. I live 6 blocks from an identical park area. Why not
thin the herd here? We get our plants back (for a while), as well as a plaid
parade.

Seriously, get a bow. It's quiet, short range, and the perfect
solution.

Only do it during deer season, with the proper license (i.e. in the
winter), and follow all the regulations.

The health benefits from the meat are great, it's much better than un-
naturally raised meat.

Short of that, get a dog and an electric fence, if you have the
temperament to go for walks and take care of a dog.