Old 23-07-2007, 03:43 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens
Sheldon[_1_] Sheldon[_1_] is offline

Default Solar landscape lights

On Jul 23, 12:46?am, Tony Tung wrote:
A couple years ago, we installed solar landscape lights. Thanks to a
fortuitous geographic location, they work relatively well (i.e., they
light up well past midnight). My problem is that they're too fragile. I
have them installed along the walkway and along the driveway, and about
half of them have been broken in half by a opening car door or a misstep.

I'm looking for a durable set of lights that don't have any cheap plastic
connectors between the post and the light. Anyone have a product to
recommend?

I have two solar lanterns set near my deck. As I quickly discovered
solar lighting is more for decorative effect than for reliable
lighting; they're not very bright and don't work well or at all when
days are cloudy... they definitely don't work when their solar panels
are covered with snow. The ones I bought (Lowes) are essentially all
metal, except for the glass portions (they're actually made very well
- brushed and heavily laquered sturdy aluminum) I don't remember the
brand at the moment... but perhaps if you didn't install them where
they could be damaged by opening car doors and being stepped on. I'm
sure that if I installed mine the same as you did yours the ones I
have would get broken too.

Okay, found the paperwork... here is the "Intermatic" model I have
(LZ1400 IH): http://www.intermatic.com/Default.as...id=49&sid=7 6

I have the "pewter finish", two lamps came in a set, $30, still
working after four years, and no corrosion.

I originally bought them thinking to hang them from the trees at the
foot of my driveway, but then decided they would soon walk away with
passerbys, so they ended up inside a perennial bed at my rear deck.
They wouldn't have been much good as driveway markers anyway, like I
said, they are not reliable lighting. There do exist more powerful
solar lamps but they are rather costly.

I don't have a good pictu http://i13.tinypic.com/54ijslu.jpg