Old 23-07-2007, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
WaltA WaltA is offline

Default Any cures for fungus infected goosegogs?

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 15:52:16 +0200, Emery Davis wrote:
I see I wasn't very careful in the previous post, and implied I pulled mine
out because of the mildew. Mostly was because of age, I believe they
were about 20-25 years old. Also we put a low stone wall along the
drive, which they impeded somewhat. Had they been super croppers I
would have kept, though.

I'm glad you clarified that ! Because I was very surprised that anyone
would do that on account of mildew which is so easily controlled.

But now I am puzzled because 20-25 is no age at all for gooseberries,
we have been here 30y and the goosberry bushes were already here when
we arrived.

when I checked my book
(The Winemakers Garden by Duncan Gillespie)
about that washing soda treatment in my other post I found that he
says
"They are long lived - plantations of Careless are still cropping
after 60 years"

My wife tells me that these we have are Careless also.
So if yours are not super croppers perhaps they are not Careless :-)

I dont know if they are resistant or just that we have been lucky, we
have had mildew in only 2 of those years, in the wet southwest.