Old 23-07-2007, 08:42 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default HELP: Unknown Predator destroying my garden

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 21:05:42 -0500, Charlie wrote:

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 20:17:29 -0500, "JS" wrote:

In the past few days, I have noticed my backyard garden
has been invaded by an unknown predator. Right now
I am growing beans. I have noticed that
any leaves or branches within 1 foot or so
from the ground are practically gone or destroyed.

I would like to get some advises from your
experts in this forum what I should do to prevent
further problem. I am suspecting a rabbit ? but
may be not. I am almost certain that
it happens at night time. BTW, I live in Dallas, TX
area.

I just this minute returned from the garden after encountering a
two-thirds grown rabbit, in the green beans, mowing them down. The cat,
and the owls, had missed him when he was smaller.

I didn't miss. .177 at 1100 fps.

Mmmmm.... that sounds like a nice gun. RWS maybe?

My RWS model 48 matches those specs. It wasn't cheap, but
I'm not at all disappointed with it.

They have been a major problem here this year for some
reason. I think it has something to do with the current
drought. So far in a little over a month the RWS has zapped
a dozen of them and they still nipped off some of the
morning glories last night. It looks like I'll have to
remove a few more. Thank goodness the garden is finally
fenced good enough to keep out the deer and rabbits.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b