Old 24-07-2007, 12:50 AM posted to rec.gardens
Rachael Simpson Rachael Simpson is offline

Default Deer prevention

I hope you don't like those large pine trees, because they'll be dead
sooner or later from the ivy.

Not according to our local cooperative extension. I already asked.

Extremely odd. Every arborist or tree cutter I've ever talked to has
said don't let the ivy climb the trees because it will weaken or kill
them. I have three lots full of trees. Regularly have them trimmed to
let in more light.

I'm with Ann and Billy on this one. My grandfather was a county ext.
agent, and he always said that ivy can/will overtake & kill trees. Have
heard that all my life from others as well.....seen the effects locally
also.