Old 24-07-2007, 01:05 AM posted to rec.gardens
symplastless symplastless is offline

Default Deer prevention

I have dissected a scots pine that had ivy all over the ground . The tree
was the healthiest scots pine I have seen.
So some trees may be companion plants and some not. Again, other than
blocking sunlight from needles and leaves I know of no published research
showing that ivy kills trees. I personally do not like ivy growing on
trees. The reason is because it covers up defects and signs of a high risk
of hazard situation such as cracks and so on.

Does anyone have data (peer reviewed published papers) showing that ivy
kills trees. I would like to read it and place it in my dictionary for all
to read under hard to get docs.

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"symplastless" wrote in message
I hope you don't like those large pine trees, because they'll be dead
sooner or later from the ivy.

Ann

Do you have the data that the ivy will kill a pine tree. I really know
of no data to establish that as a fact.
Sure it can block leaves and needles for photosynthesis. Other than that
what are you talking about?

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Mah grandpappy done said so, and that's alls I needs to know.

:-)