Old 24-07-2007, 12:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Gene Schurg Gene Schurg is offline

Default shipping questions

Hey....I love frozen chocolate. A frozen Reeces Peanut butter cup is great.
After holidays I often buy chocolate when it goes on sale (after
Easter/Christmas/etc.) and freeze it for months at a time. No problem.
When it's frozen you can't eat it very fast

Gene

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
Chocolate is tough to ship in summer, and can be difficult in winter too.
I forget what the actual word for this is, but what happens is that
chocolate, if kept too cold, gets that white coating on it. So you'd have
to very carefully pack it to create a cool but not cold environment.
People don't keep chocolate in the fridge, nor freeze it.

Diana

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks Ray. I guess it does add up.

"Ray B" wrote in message
In winter, I add 1 or 2 heat packs, depending upon the size of the box.
In wholesale quantities, they're under $2 each. However, as they do
have a relatively short life, if the recipient is more than 2 days away
by ground, I upgrade them to 2-day Express service. With that, it might
add that much.

In summer, when I know the packages will warm up, I thoroughly water the
plant before shipping (something to avoid in winter). That evaporative
cooling seems to do the trick. I do not charge for that.

"K Barrett" wrote in message
On another site I read a person wondered about shipping chocolate in
summer months. The factory rep responded that it cost $50 to ship a
$24 order, so advised waiting till fall to order chocolate thru the
mail.

Now, we don't wait to ship living organisms like orchids..... so what's
up with that?? Vendors commonly use cool/heat pads when they ship, and
I don't think they cost an additional $20-$25 does it?

K Barrett