Old 24-07-2007, 02:08 AM posted to rec.gardens
symplastless symplastless is offline

Default Deer prevention

I try to make decisions based on data. I don't like ivy in trees because it
covers signs of high risks of hazard such as cracks. I don't like ivy on
trees. But I have not read data that stated ivy kills trees.

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

"Ann" wrote in message
"symplastless" expounded:

Do you have the data that the ivy will kill a pine tree. I really know of
no data to establish that as a fact.
Sure it can block leaves and needles for photosynthesis. Other than that
what are you talking about?

No, I don't have peer reviewed anything, I've seen it and it's general
knowledge, at least around here. The plant smothers the host (thus
blocking photosynthesis), and the weight pulls the host down. In
addition, the ivy reaches maturity and then flowers, spreading seeds
via birds eating the berries. Not a plant I want growing on my trees.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts