Old 24-07-2007, 03:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Frank Frank is offline

Default When to pick garlic?

Are the outer skins cracked or smooth like in the stores?

thanks

"Steve Calvin" wrote in message
news
Frank wrote:
Planted the garlic end of last summer in central NY.

Just picked one and it looks very nice except that the stem is still
green and big diameter.

Usually we wait until the stems die down but when we then pick them the
outer skins have cracked and do not look good. But the stems are dry and
easy to twist closed.

How can I tell if I should pick the garlic?

Thank

I wait until the majority of the stems have browned. I put mine in last
October in Poughkeepsie (zone 5b), NY and pulled them the first week of
this month. Not sure why yours would be so far behind but shrug.

--
Steve