Old 24-07-2007, 02:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Seahag Seahag is offline

Default Deer prevention

"Phisherman" wrote:
I have been trying to grow English ivy for several years.
The deer
keep clipping the ivy down to the ground, leaving bare
soil that
creates an erosion issue. I tried fox/human urine, blood
meal,
milorganite, Irish Spring, deer scram. Some say "Spider
Lily" repels
deer. A dog is effective. I found that bird netting
around the ivy
protects it and any ivy that attempts to grow outside the
netting gets
clipped off. Finally, some ivy is growing up large pine
trees where
the deer can not reach it.

The deer had a garden feast night before last. Ate the last
bedraggled cuke, the squash right to the ground, bits off
the pumpkins, carrot tops, peppers, and most of the
tomatoes. I haven't been over to see the damage yet so I
don't know how the corn, okra, and eggplant fared. They
don't seem to care for the Brandywines as much as the
cherries and Beefsteaks tho. They totally ignore the
English Ivy that we'd love to get rid of. I think it was
revenge for the chunk of firewood my buddy chucked at a deer
on Saturday.

Seahag