Old 24-07-2007, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike' 'Mike' is offline

Default New Gardener COMPLETELY unsure! Help Needed please

"AngeTheUnsure" wrote in message

Hi All, Just found this forum so hope it can help. This is the 2nd year
I've actively been 'doing the garden' - leaving it to Husband in the
past to get on with it. I convinced him last year Perennials were the
way to go - come up year after year, might be expensive at first but
well worth it in the long run. Now I've managed to get myself into
trouble by not knowing how to look after this stuff! Example:

Hardy Geraniums - Cranesbill - Just cut them back for new growth, as
reached 4' high and leaning sadly to the side. Do I cut them back again
in October'ish?

Rose bush - I planted it last Summer, it's called 'Rhapsody in Blue'.
He's told me to cut a particularly long stalk, saying It's a Sucker, as
there aren't any buds on it ... so I cut it and now discover according
to the 'Expert' book it probably wasn't a sucker...

Achillea - a Red/Pink variety that grows to about 4' tall is now more
than 5', in full flower and listing badly. Do I cut them back in
Autumn please?

How do I gather seeds from Delphinium - do I wait for them to dry ON
the plant, or take them off now and put 'em in a paper bag to dry off?

See? Sooo many questions that I don't expect to all be answered here,
so if someone could suggest a GOOD book, I've a couple of Readers'
Digests that don't really go into stuff for beginners like me, the
'Expert' soft backs - got a couple of them, again not really for the
beginner.

Thanks all in advance,

AngeTheUnsure

--
AngeTheUnsure

Oh dear :-((

Well to start with stand by for a load of flack. Gardenbanter is a "no no"
on uk.rec.gardening by the owners.

All you need to do is put your tin hat on, ignore the 'owners' and watch the
results from those who care. You WILL get some super response, but it is the
Gardenbanter bit which raises their hackles.

Mike

Reunion Bournemouth August/September 2007
www.rneba.org.uk