Old 24-07-2007, 07:23 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Chris Barnes Chris Barnes is offline

Default Progress report on the pond construction 6 weeks on.....

Derek Broughton wrote:
The US Corps of Engineers got wise to this probably 20 years ago when there
was wide-spread flooding on the Mississippi. In the end, it's a whole lot
simpler (and safer for everybody) _not_ to try to prevent flooding, and to
just not let anybody build on the flood plain.

You mean like "New Orleans"?

(actually, closer to my home, Houston is also a flood plain).

Sorry - it's a pet peeve of mine. I visited NO one time several years
ago. I thought then how dumb it was to build below the water line with
the M.River on one side, and Lake Ponchartrain on the other.

--

Chris Barnes AOL IM: CNBarnes