Old 24-07-2007, 09:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
Cheryl Isaak Cheryl Isaak is offline

Default I want the recipe

On 7/24/07 4:22 PM, in article ,
"George Shirley" wrote:

Billy Rose wrote:
In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

William Wagner wrote:

My oldest son may marry a mideast lady soon.

Bill

http://mideastfood.about.com/od/midd.../hummus101.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tahini

Hummus
From Saad Fayed,

Hummus is one of the more popular Middle Eastern dips. Served with fresh
or toasted pita, hummus makes for a great snack or appetizer. Tahini is
an important part of the hummus recipe and cannot be substituted.
However, it can be omitted.

More Hummus Recipes
INGREDIENTS:
€ 1 16 oz can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans
€ 1/4 cup liquid from can of chickpeas
€ 3-5 tablespoons lemon juice (depending on taste)
€ 1 1/2 tablespoons tahini
€ 2 cloves garlic, crushed
€ 1/2 teaspoon salt
€ 2 tablespoons olive oil
PREPARATION:
Drain chickpeas and set aside liquid from can. Combine remaining
ingredients in blender or food processor. Add 1/4 cup of liquid from
chickpeas. Blend for 3-5 minutes on low until thoroughly mixed and
smooth.

Place in serving bowl, and create a shallow well in the center of the
hummus.

Add a small amount (1-2 tablespoons) of olive oil in the well. Garnish
with parsley (optional).

Serve immediately with fresh, warm or toasted pita bread, or cover and
refrigerate.
Variations
For a spicier hummus, add a sliced red chile or a dash of cayenne pepper.
Storing Hummus
Hummus can be refrigerated for up to 3 days and can be kept in the
freezer for up to one month. Add a little olive oil if it appears to be
too dry.

putting this one on file to try in the future too. I generally prefer my
dips & salads fresh and not refrigerated. will try this one fresh with
the toasted pita chips. if like, might use tortilla chips with the
spicier version. bet that's good together. why is it that the tahini
can't be substituted with something else, but it can be omitted?

Tanin't hummus less 'en its' got tahini. Might be good but it ain't
hummus. Tahini is made from sesame seeds. Not much else tastes like
sesame. The seeds have medicinal properties which include aphrodisiac,
demulcent, diuretic, emmenagogue, emollient, galactogogue, laxative,
rejuvenative, tonic.

See more at http://www.holistic-online.com/Herba...Herbs/h194.htm

I've been making what is basically the same recipe for years. Only
difference is I put 1/4 cup tahini in the hummos versus 1.5 tablespoons.
The recipe I use comes from a cookbook I bought in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia,
written by a Swiss woman married to an Egyptian military officer who has
been living in Saudi for years. Good cookbook too. And Billy is right,
it ain't hummos without the tahini.

George

Hey George,
When were you in Jeddah? My folks were in Abqaiq from 1978 to 1987
(roughly). I went over in 79 for 6 weeks....

Cheryl