Old 24-07-2007, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Hogg Chris Hogg is offline

Default OT MS Vista

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 20:52:20 +0100, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

More worrying is at the moment Vista is flexing its muscles and I have spent
the last 2 hours trying to recover from it freezing after a bit of software
it did not like was attempting to install. now working but I can see a lot
of unexplained activity from the hard drive so am expecting more trouble to
come :~(
Its more trouble than its worth, avoid it if you can, but they do not supply
you a system disc so you can change your mind in the future.

Charlie, you could try asking about your problem on uk.comp.misc; I've
always found them a very helpful lot.

I have no experience of Vista, but when it first came out there were
some adverse comments on the above NG, among which was that it needed
1Gb of memory to run well (AIUI MicroSoft suggest a minimum of 500Mb,
which is technically correct but cripplingly low, although many
machines with that bare minimum were advertised at the time),
otherwise it would be forever swapping stuff between memory and the
hard drive, which slows things up significantly.

If your machine only has 500Mb, increasing it to 1Gb is pretty simple.
On a quiet day, PC World in Truro would probably do it for you while
you wait. Whether it would solve your MSOffice problem is another
question....

--
Chris