Old 25-07-2007, 05:55 AM posted to rec.gardens
Sheldon[_1_] Sheldon[_1_] is offline

Default Hot water vs Roundup

On Jul 24, 6:57?pm, Pennyaline wrote:
Persephone wrote:

I finally got around to dealing with an area, approx 3 ft
circumference, under one of the water faucets,
where the hose lies coiled (when it isn't sprawling over
the lawn g).

I've tried various ground covers, but weeds seem to take over.

So I poured a couple of sacks of pebbles in the area; looks
nice and neat. However, weeds starting to poke through.
I guess I could p.u.another couple of sacks of pebbles...but wondered
whether:

1. Pouring hot water over the pebbles would kill the weeds, but would
it hurt the Princess Plant that grows in the middle of the area.

vs

2. Roundup, same concerns vis-a-vis the Princess Plant.

Your wisdom, please?

Persephone

1. Rake up existing pebbles, put them aside on a tarp.
2. Weed whack the area down to bare ground.
3. Spread landscape/weed suppressing fabric over the bare area and pin
it down.
4. Neatly spread pebbles on top of the fabric.
5. Place edging around the pebbled area to keep them contained (optional).

Not really optional, the critters will have them all strewn about in
no time. I wouldn't use pebbles, no matter how contained the majority
will eventually find their way into the lawn areas where they will
wreak havoc on lawnmower blades. I'd choose some nice large pieces of
pine bark mulch... the large pieces stay put, the small pieces wash
away in heavy rain. Cut small slits in the weed block fabric and
plant a few petunias.