Old 25-07-2007, 06:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike' 'Mike' is offline

Default path material

"K" wrote in message
Barry writes
having created my raised beds within a gated and fenced off area
protected
with rabbit wire
I am thinking of loosing the grass paths between the raised beds and
either
covering it
with ....shingle or chipped wood.......or scalping type material or any
other ideas?
The grass is ok but high maintenance '

What path material would people favour ?
Would a fibre glass type matting over the grass be ok as a barrier before
applying the chosen path material?
Or
Should I lift the grass before applying this material?

Lift the grass, stack it upside down in a heap for a year or so and it
will rot down into good humus rich soil - too good to be wasted under a
path.

I've got gravel between my raised beds. Needs weeding, but that's not as
much work as mowing grass was. And it's an excellent medium for plants
that won't germinate so well elsewhere ;-)

The gravel looks OK in the winter as a contrast to the brown soil of the
beds - bark wouldn't be such a contrast. And it would rot down and need
topping up every few years.
--
Kay

We go along with Kay.

Lift the grass, put a membrane/plastic sheet/ground cover down and cover it
with 20 mm gravel. Don't use anything smaller like pea gravel otherwise the
neighbourhood vermin cats will use it as their toilet.

Lovely to walk on all the year round. Dries out quickly and quick shuffle
around every so often disturbs the weeds and they die :-))

We have lots of gravel paths and wouldn't have anything else. They are
proving a boon with all this wet weather :-))

Mike

Reunion Bournemouth August/September 2007
www.rneba.org.uk