Old 25-07-2007, 09:09 AM posted to rec.gardens
Persephone Persephone is offline

Default Hot water vs Roundup

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 04:48:57 GMT, "Dave"
wrote:

Persephone wrote in message
m...

I finally got around to dealing with an area, approx 3 ft
circumference, under one of the water faucets,
where the hose lies coiled (when it isn't sprawling over
the lawn g).

I've tried various ground covers, but weeds seem to take over.

So I poured a couple of sacks of pebbles in the area; looks
nice and neat. However, weeds starting to poke through.
I guess I could p.u.another couple of sacks of pebbles...but wondered
whether:

1. Pouring hot water over the pebbles would kill the weeds, but would
it hurt the Princess Plant that grows in the middle of the area.

vs

2. Roundup, same concerns vis-a-vis the Princess Plant.

Your wisdom, please?

Persephone

Dig up your precious plant, put it in a temp container. Go out to the hill
country and find a landowner who is more than willing to give up some
cedars. Cut a few dozen down and chunk 'em in the truck. Get some oak
while you're out there. Tie down as it will be a big pile. Put a few
cedars on the weeds, and light 'em off. Feed another tree every 5 minutes
or so. Midway, add the oak. Will take a couple of hours. Be sure to wash
down the side of the house so often so it don't burn down. Dig a hole in
the middle of the ash pile next day. Put your precious plant with container
in the hole. Water it some. If the weeds come back, just dig up the
container. Use dynamite this time. You'll have to bring in some soil to
replace that blown away. A few yards or so... House repairs are optional.

I KNEW somebody would come up with the perfect solution! Mes
hommages, Dave!

Persephone

I'd just kneel down and pull the weeds myself.

Gets tougher through pebbles. I pulled weeds in that area for years,
so finally thought I'd try the pebbles. I have them on the other side
of the house under the other faucet - several layers - and they seem
to be working pretty well.

Your choice. Consider putting the hose on a hanger.

I've looked at hose-hangers for years. They don't seem practical
when I'm using the hose almost every day. I got one of those
spiral jobbies that is suppose to retract on its own but it didn't
work for me so I returned it.

The idea solution is a hose cart; I tried locating one there, but
there just isn't room.

Persephone.