Old 25-07-2007, 01:41 PM posted to rec.gardens
Roy Starrin Roy Starrin is offline

Default Dwarf Mondo Grass Experience

On 24 Jul 2007 22:59:44 -0400, Jim Kingdon wrote:

This is a 10' wide L-shaped area between deck and house.
Saw some Dwarf Mondo on a garden tour last week and the gent who was
growing it says it really forms a mat. It looked like it to me.

My garden book recommends mondo grass when growing on a smaller scale
than where you'd plant Liriope. So I don't know if the mondo grass
would look good in a 10 foot wide space.

He did have it in a narrower space. I'm in Virginia Beach. We all
have a serious vole problem in this area. They ate the Liriope long
ago. They have not touched his dwarf Mondo.

There are also quite a few native plants which are somewhat similar
but of course that will depend on where you are (here in Washington,
DC I think of some of the smaller sedges and grasses, and "blue-eyed
grass" which is in the iris family, no doubt others).

Do you have any specific thoughts. This is part of a drainage
solution. Gutters already drain at least 10' away from house, under
the deck. Am regrading this area so that all water flows into French
drain under front edge of deck which then moves to the side and down
the lot into a lake.

Thank you for the input.