Old 25-07-2007, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gill Matthews Gill Matthews is offline

Default path material

In article , says...
having created my raised beds within a gated and fenced off area protected
with rabbit wire
I am thinking of loosing the grass paths between the raised beds and either
covering it
with ....shingle or chipped wood.......or scalping type material or any
other ideas?
The grass is ok but high maintenance '

What path material would people favour ?
Would a fibre glass type matting over the grass be ok as a barrier before
applying the chosen path material?
Or
Should I lift the grass before applying this material?

thoughts appreciated

Barry

I put down landcape matting between the beds and covered it originally with bark.
This turned into a sort of linear compost heap eventually and I am slowly
replacing it with stones gathered free from my very stony soil. The few weeds that
grow in the stones are shallow rooted and easy to remove because of the matting.
I have found it much less time consuming than maintining grass paths

GillM