Old 25-07-2007, 02:16 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens
Rachael Simpson Rachael Simpson is offline

Default Solar landscape lights

Dave wrote:
Uhh, I don't know how you went from lights to mailboxes. And, the
association is very loose indeed.

"Sheldon" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 23, 10:18?pm, "Dave" wrote:
"Sheldon" wrote in message

If the mailbox and its supporting post is on the road shoulder proper,
yes,
post should be breakaway.

Well of course, rural mail delivery is always from the roadway, the

Wrong.

rural deliverers are not going to enter private property with their
vehicles, in fact they are not going to drive off the roadway

Wrong. With permissions, they will deliver parcels to the private area
specified by that permission.

proper... the mailbox must be reachable from the vehicle window while
the vehicle is on the roadway proper.

Wrong. They can and do use easement for traveling to a mailbox out of the
easement. The mailbox is just out of the easement, but away from the road.

Below you spoke of urban/surburban delivery, where the mail deliverer
walks, not rural... and a lot of other gobbledygook about surveys,
etc.

Obviously you don't understand. And, whether rural or urban is of no
consequence.

The hollow plastic won't drive into hard soil, or rocky areas. The rebar
thing is a good fix to that. The uppermost portion of the light, the
light
fixture itself, will still breakaway.

If you want to drive rebar into the ground go right ahead, but if
someone gets hurt you'll wish you didn't. And if you can drive rebar
into rocky soil then there is no reason you can't pull the rebar back

You are so out there. You or I or anyone else can't easily pull rebar from
rocky soil.

out and insert the lamp stanchion... guess you can't think that
sophisticatedly... no one drives wooden fenceposts into the ground

Now we're circumventing by making up implausibles.

either, they make a hole with something more suitable, like a

Duh.

fencepost digger or augur. I guess hammering a piece of rebar to make
a small hole is okay, but it's just plain stupid to leave it there...

The hole or the rebar?
The plastic piping fits over the rebar, making it more or less stationary.
The plastic pipe won't fit in a hole made be rebar of the standard 2
diameters.

no way will that piece of rebar protect the lamp from collision

I've already pointed that out as not very smart.

damage... if someone opens a car door into it the entire lamp will be
damaged, but more importantly the rebar sticking up is likely to do

If you drive an awful short car with a awwwwwfully low door. Otherwise, it
will hit the light fixture itself. And, the light fixture will breakaway.

major damage to the door, will cost a lot more to repair than
replacing 50 of those cheapo lamps. And what if someome inadvertantly
drives over that lamp and the rebar punctures a perfectly good tire...

Again, said its not smart to put such near a driveway.

me, I'd snatch that piece of rebar out of the ground and use it to
beat your ignorant ass to a pulp.

Now resorting to thuggery, blackmail, intimidation, communicating a threat.
If its real soft sandy ground, maybe. Otherwise, I'd stand there waiting a
long time for you to get that rebar out of the ground. La, la, la, la, hum,
hum, hum. Guess I'll take nap now.
Dave

snickering, no, lol!
rae