Old 25-07-2007, 03:26 PM posted to rec.gardens
Pennyaline Pennyaline is offline

Default Hot water vs Roundup

Persephone wrote:
weed-suppressing fabric, a few years ago, I and some friends took
a LOT of trouble to spread fabric in a rose path -- big hassle, trim,
cut holes, etc. My gardener warned me the weeds would come back
anyway -- and they did, big time, so I had extra work digging up &
removing the fabric and said never again. I understand there are
supposed to be different thicknesses of that stuff, perhaps some more
effective, but have only seen the ordinary in nursery/homeowner places
around here; don't want to order huge quantity on-line for tiny area.

Landscape fabric is very heavy. It is available at Home Depot and Lowe's
in my area. Landscape fabric doesn't work by itself, just as lighter
weight suppressing fabrics don't. Once in place it is covered with thick
mulch, pebbles, etc. and when properly used can suppress most of the
weeds. Some will always come through, but it's easier to deal with some
of them than with all of them.