Old 25-07-2007, 05:58 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jim Kingdon Jim Kingdon is offline

Default Help! I wat to grow an everygreen climber - any suggestions?

However after a quick trip to the local garden centre i was told that
it was too late for me to grow a climber as it will die when winter
comes.

Any climber? That seems like kind of a sweeping statement. Perhaps
they were trying to sell you the pre grown climbers? Most perennials
do well with fall planting. Summer can be OK too if they get enough
water while it is hot and they aren't established yet.

What is your location and what are you looking for in this plant?
Foliage (all year round? fall colors?)? Showy flowers? Fragrant
flowers? Fruit (grapes? Some kind of espalied tree?)?

Things like beans and peas can grow up a trellis too although they are
mostly annuals so you might have been looking for something which
lasts more of the year.