Old 25-07-2007, 03:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default About to make a planter, how small can it be?

On 25 Jul, 15:00, wrote:
Hi,
I want to make a planter from deckin boards which come in 4" or 6"
widths.
The whole thing has to sit on a small wall 9" wide which retains our
lawn (ie the wall is made from 9" bricks).It's to stop our toddler
running off the edge and falling onto the patio.
Would using three 6" boards be too small , ie one for the base and one
for each side?
Alternatively, I could use a 6" for the base and two 4" boards on each
side.
Not sure what we'll put in the planter, probably some type of small
shrub , any suggestions welcome?

Kinda small, innit, 6".You could get away with some herbs, annual
bedding flowers but you won't get any height and I'd imagine that's
what you are looking for to stop your toddler. Do you need to
physically stop your toddler from tumbling down? How high is your
wall?

Shrubs would find it too small. It could be just about ok for plug
plants, lavenders, hebes, to start with, but be prepared to have a
height of perhaps 1 foot maximum, straggly and unhappy plants within
a couple of years. If you don't want to go and buy another plank which
could give you a 9" for the base, like your wall, and use the 2x4" for
the sides, what about planting before the wall start, directly in your
lawn? That would visually halt your child from going any further.