Old 25-07-2007, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default path material

p.k. writes
Sacha wrote:
On 24/7/07 22:44, in article ,
"Barry" wrote:

having created my raised beds within a gated and fenced off area
protected with rabbit wire
I am thinking of loosing the grass paths between the raised beds and
either covering it
with ....shingle or chipped wood.......or scalping type material
or any other ideas?
The grass is ok but high maintenance '

I'd keep the grass unless you're prepared to concrete or pave.
Weeding through other materials will be even more time consuming and
tedious. And weeds - and the grass - will grow through gravel or
wood chips. snip

Disagree, landscsping fabric (eg terram) with a self binding gravel (in the
south Breedon gravel is readily available) which sets like a natural
concrete but is much more attractive.

Easy DIY ( tip the stuff out of barrows, rake level, tread down, brush to a
level surface) and much less maintenace than grass.

Grass is OK if you have a large garden and wide paths between your beds.
But if you are in an average sized garden and your paths are not much
more than the width of the lawn mower, the awkwardness of manoeuvring
the lawn mower, and of keeping the edges tidy, makes grass high
maintenance both in the time involved and the necessity to do it every
week to maintain some measure of tidiness.

In addition, the grass will grow into the beds, making maintenance of
the beds harder.

I've had both grass and gravel, and, even with weeding, I find the
gravel is far less maintenance.

(Weeding's more fun than mowing anyway ;-) )
--
Kay