Old 25-07-2007, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
WaltA WaltA is offline

Default Any cures for fungus infected goosegogs?

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 06:05:25 -0700, cliff_the_gardener
wrote:

WaltA
The big gooseberries used in competitions are often selected types,
but some of the large berried types include:
Admiral Beatty, Angler, Berry's Early Giant, Bobby, Broom Girl,
Champion, Colossal, Dan's Mistake, Edith Cavell, Fredonia, Guido,
Gunner, Lloyd George, London, Lord Derby, Montgomery, Roaring Lion and
Telegraph.
Leveller can produce large berries. The secret is thinning and feed.
Thin the fruit and remember that main nutrient that they need is
potash. So either apply as chemical feed or mulch a bush with pleanty
of manure (not if this is the intention train the leg of the bush more
so as not to restrict air flow). Applications of seaweed meal and/or
comfrey can help in delivring potash.
As for a source of these plants - you could try Rougham Hall Nurseries
who hold the national collection. RV Rogers in Pickering North
Yorkshire grow a good range of gooseberry plants also.

Good Luck
Clifford

Many thanks for that, most interesting.
And I've made note of the two suppliers because I must get some other
varieties planted.
My present ones are usually ready to pick in the middle of Wimbledon,
which means that 1st assistant chief picker goes AWOL frequently :-))