Old 01-04-2003, 12:44 PM
Cathy

Default New house, big yard, what next???

Hello Keegan

You don't say where you are, so it a bit difficult. HOWEVER, the chain
link fence has to go or has to be hidden. Forsythias are cheap enough
from any nursery (usually 4- 6ft balled bushes go for about $30.00)
Space them 8 ft apart and in a few years you'll have a nice hedge.

Keegan Alex wrote:
Hi folks,

Well, I just purchased a house, and it's on a 1.2 acre lot with a few
nice trees, but no landscaping at all. I want to do some landscaping
in the front and back yard, but I have no idea how to start. This is
my first home, and I definately don't have a green thumb (that I know
of anyway).

Are there any good books that might help? I'm working on getting my
yard drawn out and I'm getting a soil sample tested to see what will
grow best out here, but after that, I'm not sure what to do.

Just a small background on the house. I'm on 1.2 acres, and the house
sits about 50 yards from the street in middle of lot. House is a
square brown/white ranch-style house built in early 1980's, and the
entire back yard is fenced in with 5 foot chain-linked fence.

What would be best?? I've picked-up some books, but most seem more
geared for landscaped/terraced yards outside my price range or those
fancy mansion yards. I'm looking for something that looks nice, but
something that'll fit my middle-class neighborhood. I've even thought
about calling a landscape person out, but I'm sure that'd be way too
much. Do they come out and do advising for a small fee?

Thanks for any suggestions or help.

--
.... __~o
.. \ -\,