Old 26-07-2007, 01:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Stuart E. Weiner Stuart E. Weiner is offline

Default Expected lilac growth in first few months?

I planted a common lilac shrub, about 2 feet tall, in the spring. It
has grown very little over the past 3 months or so. Is this to be
expected? Or is it perhaps indicative that the plant is subpar or the
location is subpar. Regarding the plant itself, when purchased it
frankly didn't look so great--in part because it had sat out at the
nursery through a mid-spring freeze (in the Kansas City area). I've
pruned off some dead branches and leaves, and it looks much better.
There is healthy new growth, just not much of it. Overall, it looks
healthy, just small. Regarding the location, I have it in an all-sun
spot with plenty of room to expand. The soil can get damp but does
drain.

So, bottom line, should I be patient and give it a year or two? Or
should I consider moving it somewhere where I can "experiemnt" with it
and give it time, and get something else in there that's larger and
clearly doing well (I'm thinking a blue rose of sharon). The spot it's
in is a high-visibility part of the yard that I'd like something nice
and showy in.

Thanks