Old 26-07-2007, 03:03 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Default Expected lilac growth in first few months?

"Stuart E. Weiner" expounded:

So, bottom line, should I be patient and give it a year or two? Or
should I consider moving it somewhere where I can "experiemnt" with it
and give it time, and get something else in there that's larger and
clearly doing well (I'm thinking a blue rose of sharon). The spot it's
in is a high-visibility part of the yard that I'd like something nice
and showy in.

If you've planted it in a nice full sun area with good, neutral pH
soil, then yes, leave it alone and be patient. Lilacs are hardy to
zone 2, so that spring freeze didn't do it much harm. It's setting
roots and getting itself established. If it hasn't shaped up by mid
spring next year then start to worry about it.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts