Old 26-07-2007, 06:36 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy Rose Billy Rose is offline

Default Hot water vs Roundup

In article om,
mleblanca wrote:

On Jul 25, 1:02 am, Persephone wrote:

the above sensible suggestions:

weed-suppressing fabric, a few years ago, I and some friends took
a LOT of trouble to spread fabric in a rose path -- big hassle, trim,
cut holes, etc. My gardener warned me the weeds would come back
anyway -- and they did, big time, so I had extra work digging up &
removing the fabric and said never again. I understand there are
supposed to be different thicknesses of that stuff, perhaps some more
effective, but have only seen the ordinary in nursery/homeowner places
around here; don't want to order huge quantity on-line for tiny area.

Perse
The best weed suppressing "fabric" is newsprint. About 20 sheets of
newspaper covered with pebbles or bark will smother weeds and
by the time the paper decomposes they won't come back up.
Of course the paper lasts longer if you can keep the area fairly dry
but even
with water they last a surprosingly long time. Cheaper too.
I have used this method with success even over the dreaded Bermuda
Grass!

Both vinegar and boiling water work, but neither will discrimate
between
plants you want and weeds. Just keep them out of the root zone of
the PP.
Emilie

Tell her about cardboard too, when she comes back down.

FB - FFF (raise a big stink)
--
Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/