Old 26-07-2007, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore Pam Moore is offline

Default Growing cowslips fromm seed

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 13:03:53 +0100, Paul Waites
wrote:

Hi all,

I have naturalised some cowslip plants in my lawn and would now like to
increase stocks....

For the last couple of years I have collected seed without success in
growing plants..

Is there a knack to it?

5 - 7 years ago a friend gave me some cowslip seedlings which I
planted on my allotment. There are still cowslips there but not in
the same patch where I originally planted them. They just seed
themselves around. I have to weed carefully!
I would suggest that you prepare a patch of soil which will not be
disturbed, and transfer the plants there from your lawn, and then just
leave them. It's too late for this years seeding, but if you leave
next year's flowers to seed themselves you should then have plants to
move around the garden. You could also scatter there any saved seed
which you have left.
However, think where they grow in the wild.....

Pam in Bristol