Old 26-07-2007, 07:04 PM posted to rec.gardens
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default Hot water vs Roundup

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 16:30:58 -0500, Charlie wrote:

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 14:25:09 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

If you buy your food from the grocery store I wouldn't worry
too much about the pittance of Roundup any of us might use.

Point taken, but protest I must. Seems a shame to even give one penny
to the bastids.

I try and buy only food that has a chance of being non-contamintated,
but of course, this a near impossiblilty.

Typical notill farming for corn, soybeans and now they have
Roundup ready wheat seed too. Spray whole field with Roundup
and either plant at the same time or wait a few days. After
your desired crop is on the way up and the weeds are taking
hold spray whole field with Roundup again. The seed/crop has
been genetically engineered so it is virtually immune to
Roundup.

There are hundreds of acres with in easy walking distance
from me that have been douched with Roundup for many years
now.

I'm smack-effing-dab in the middle of the saturate zone, gazillions of
acres in every direction, Rockies to the Apallachians, Texas to Canada
and beyond. Northwestern Missouri.

I've seen/read studies showing that low levels of Glyphosate
(Roundup's active ingredient) can be detected in just about
everything we eat/buy made from corn, soybeans and wheat.

Yep, and I remember DDT as well and the widespread use and misuse of
that poison.

Use it judicially, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over what
we might do with it. Worry about the thousands and thousands
of acres douched with it by agriculture...

I do worry about the widespread use and give the middle finger salute
to Monsanto et al. whenever possible. ;-)

Hi Charlie,

As you probably already know, DDT is still in widespread use
throughout the rest of the World. It did and still does work
really, really well for what it was intended (shrug). It was
way, way overused and abused.

I'm guilty of using Glyphosate. In some places it seems to
be the lesser of evils. I try to avoid it in places that I
plan on eating crops from.

Which do you suppose is more harmful. Spraying a bit of
Glyphosate a few times a summer or running a noisy/smelly
exhaust spewing weed-whacker every week. I hate those
machines (and leave blowers) and only use them when I
absolutely have to. Much rather do the trimming and weeding
all by hand, but a bit of Glyphosate here and there can be a
big help. It is about the only thing that I have found that
can take out Grapevines, Poison Ivy and Autumn Olives short
of a small nuclear device

I guess if we live long enough we will find out eventually
one way or the other just how bad it is.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b