Old 26-07-2007, 03:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
[email protected] rossr35253@forteinc.com is offline

Default When to pick garlic?

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 08:27:04 -0400, " Frank" wrote:

That make a lot of sense.
I'd say most or ours match that criteria but the stems are not at all dry
and 1/2 inch in diameter.
Is it still OK to pick.
Will the stems dry and shrink after picking or will the garlic rot through
them?

Thanks

After you dig up your garlic, leave all the roots, stems and leaves
intact. Tie them into bundles of about 10 plants each and hang them in
a shaded airy place with good ventilation.
They will take at least three weeks to cure properly. After that you
can trim off the roots and cut off the stems. Store the cured garlic
in mesh onion bags, indoors in a cool dry area. DO NOT store in the
refrigerator as this will make them sprout.

Ross
Southern Ontario, Canada.
AgCanada Zone 5b
43º 17' 28.63" North
80º 13' 28.55" West
To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.