Old 26-07-2007, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John Vanini John Vanini is offline

Default path material

There are advantages and disadvantages with both methods.

I had grass paths all around my allotment and found that bindweed and other
such weeds grew among it and down the sides, giving me a lot of hard work.
The sides also needed re-cutting on a regular basis.

In good weather the grass always seemed to need cutting - a little bit off
the top and sides - just like my haircut!

In dry and/or drought conditions the grass, in large areas, virtually
disappeared and these then turned to mud in the sort of weather we are
having now - heavy rain - with the result that walking on it created many
more bare patches (and you needed to walk very carefully) and needed
re-seeding when the weather improved. Some areas grew well and some never
did.

In the end, I got rid of the grass paths and created flint paths, holding
the flint back from the growing areas with boards.

I laid a heavy membrane down between the boards and filled the gap with
flintstones.

I'm not advocating flint stones as a path material (there are much better
materials such as gravel) but where the allotments are (at the bottom of the
Sussex downs) it seems flint grows better and quicker than any other crop!
Part of *allotmenting* here is stone picking, and the stones then have to be
carried some distance to the stone dump. It's easier for me now just to toss
all the stones I come across onto the path and then walk on it.

The advantages are that it's the same in all weathers and never slippery in
the rain, there's somewhere to throw the large stones, and such weeds as do
appear are easily pulled up - and I don't need to cut the grass or tweak out
the weeds!

The disadvantages are that it's a bit uncomfortable to walk on unless you're
wearing heavy boots (which I do) and kneeling on it can be a real pain!
Also, you have to pull a heavy laden wheelbarrow along the path because it's
far too difficult and very hard work to try to push it.

I'd love to have gravel paths but it's so easy to get rid of the stones,
this way!

Regards,

John