Old 26-07-2007, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Elephant Hawk Moth

On 26/7/07 13:33, in article ,
"Steve Wolstenholme" wrote:

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 13:11:54 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 26/7/07 12:17, in article
,
"Steve Wolstenholme" wrote:

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 11:51:23 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

One of the nursery staff has just brought one in. It's the most beautiful
creature. We're going to release it into the car park border and pray it
survives this terrible weather.

I raised one from a caterpillar when I was a little boy. Collecting
the willowherb was my daily duty. It seemed to take forever to go
through its development stages. I can still remember the day it
emerged and opened its wings for the first time. Later its wings
turned green and pink and it flew away, my beautiful pet had gone!

Steve

What a privilege though, Steve and what a lovely, lasting memory.

It's certainly lasted. I was in the infants at four years old. I'm now
pushing 59. My 90 year old mother still tells people about her little
boys dedication to a "big pink moth".

Steve

She's a mother. That's her job. ;-)
--