Old 27-07-2007, 12:28 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default vines for sheds

"GreenieLeBrun" wrote in message
0tterbot wrote:
ah, everyone's favourite topic g

have a fugly shed i want to cover, & have decided (i think) on
soemthing from the jasmine family, because they are easy, tough,
evergreen, etc. & then they make nice flowers. our climate is rather
cool & the soil in that spot is all clay - there's no topsoil there &
i assume jasmines will grow there (they seem to grow anywhere!) i
also don't want anything deciduous, as the shed is just as ugly in
winter as it is in summer ;-) the planting spot faces about
east-south-east.
does anyone have any points for or against jasmine in this situation?
is there one jasmine above all that you would recommend? or a better
suggestion?

if you had a fugly shed, what would you grow on it?
thanks!
kylie

I find the scent of jasmine a bit strong, a suitable native to consider is
the Wonga vine (Pandorea pandorana)
http://lamington.nrsm.uq.edu.au/Docu.../wongavine.htm
http://asgap.org.au/jpg1/000924.jpg http://asgap.org.au/p-pan.html

well, that is a nice looking vine! (and prettier than jasmine, too).

It is a woody vine with white to pink and golden fowers and a good grower.
We live in Boronia, Victoria (just at the base of the Dandenongs) so the
weather is quite cold in winter, we have a Wonga vine in a corner between
the garage and the house (next to a large tree fern) which faces south so
it is quite shady, our soil is heavy but I have built it up with grass
clippings, compost, dead leaves etc. The vine gets no water except what
falls from the sky.

Aparently its natural range is Tasmania to N.E. Queensland.

Pandorea jasminoides (Bower of Beauty) is similar and also grows well in
our area, it has larger white to pink flowers
(http://asgap.org.au/jpg1/810114.jpg) (http://asgap.org.au/p-jas.html)
(http://www.garden-services.com/jasmine.htm)

There are a number of cultivars of both so check with your local nursery
as to the variety that does best in your area.

thanks greenie. i very much doubt the second would go here (climate) but
i'll follow up on the wonga vine & see if it's available locally, etc.

i'd honestly prefer a really pretty native if possible, so that would be
good.
ta!
kylie