Old 27-07-2007, 12:34 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default vines for sheds

"0tterbot" wrote in message
have a fugly shed i want to cover, & have decided (i think) on soemthing
from the jasmine family, because they are easy, tough, evergreen, etc. &
then they make nice flowers. our climate is rather cool & the soil in
that spot is all clay - there's no topsoil there & i assume jasmines will
grow there (they seem to grow anywhere!) i also don't want anything
deciduous, as the shed is just as ugly in winter as it is in summer ;-)
the planting spot faces about east-south-east.

does anyone have any points for or against jasmine in this situation? is
there one jasmine above all that you would recommend? or a better
suggestion?

if you had a fugly shed, what would you grow on it?

I'd grow a Dorothy Perkins rose. They will grow well in clay and will
grow over the whole shed (sorry not a huge fan of jasmine).

my loathing of roses is only matched by their loathing of me g! (it's an
early-childhood-bike-accident thing....;-)

having said that, we do have a lovely pale-yellow (thornless!!!!) climber
here & it's just beautiful. i'm pretty sure i've seen dorothy perkins & it
is beautiful too. old-fashioned climbing and banking roses really are lovely
provided i don't have to go near them. sigh!!

thanks for your input! :-)
kylie