Old 27-07-2007, 12:41 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default not-very-nice carrots

"Terryc" wrote in message
0tterbot wrote:
hello,
(another one of my interminable vegetable questions!!)

was wondering if anyone has any clues as to why my carrots aren't that
nice.

Lack of organic matter in the soil?

certainly the soil lacks organic matter & will for some time yet i think
although i am going as fast as i can!! if that's an effect of lack of
organic matter, then i think that may well be the problem.

Soil too old?

er, isn't all dirt old? g

Only this year are our carrots starting to taste good and be of any size
beyond match sticks. We have been layering on our compost, purchased
"compost" and the bunny stuff. Can certainly see the change in the soil
from it.

We've had similar bitter carrots in the past.

ok, well, that's encouraging! may i ask how many years you've been working
at it before your carrots came good?

in the meantime, i might be able to organise deep composty-patches to put
them in, or something. if i can be bothered.

thanks terry!
kylie