Old 26-07-2007, 08:40 PM posted to austin.gardening
[email protected] Guy.A.Regular@gmail.com is offline

Default More Vines to ID, Please

On Jul 26, 1:51 pm, texas twang wrote:
Thanks, Guy! Fortunately, the one I have the most of is the morning
glory. No flowers on it yet, but I'm sure they'll be along soon. I
wonder if all the cloud cover/rain has retarded their blooms.

My morning glory isn't doing terribly well - it's been creeping about
but only recently started blooming, and only a few small blooms at
that. Some other MG vines I know of that get more sun (such as it has
been lately) are doing better than mine.

Looks like I'm in for a real battle with the bindweed, but I'll get on
it. Probably a war I can't win as it's out by the road near my
entrance, and I'm out in the middle of nowhere.

The stuff is nearly impossible to get rid of. I found one out back
that had climbed a photinia, leapt to the Arizona Ashe tree, and was
making a run for the eaves. The stem at ground level was nearly 2" in
diameter. Once I cut that stem five more popped up. The stuff tends
to grow near the bases of the host plants which makes herbicide a bad
idea.

As for the poison ivy, this little bit is all I've detected. I'll cut
the vine at ground level and zap it there.

If you're allergic wear long sleeves, long pants and gloves. The oils
can become airborne on a humid day. *scratch scratch*