Old 27-07-2007, 08:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
George.com George.com is offline

Default Organic Farming Beats No-Till?

"Billy Rose" wrote in message
In article ,
"George.com" wrote:

"Billy Rose" wrote in message
In article ,
"George.com" wrote:

"Billy Rose" wrote in message
"debnchas" wrote:

http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2007/070710.htm

Hang on there pardner. You don't haver the only horse in the race.

From the Aug. '07 Scienticic American, "A Return to the Roots".

Today most of humanity's food comes directly or indirectly (as

animal
feed) from cereal grains, legumes and oilseed crops. These staples

are
appealing to producers and consumers because they are easy to
transport and store, relatively imperishable, and fairly high in

protein
and calories. As a result such crops occupy about 80 percent of

global
agricultural land. But they are all annual plants, must be grown

anew
from seeds every year, typically using resource-intensive

cultivation
methods. More troubling, the environmental degradation caused by
agriculture will likely worsen as the hungry human population

grows to
eight billion or 10 billion in the coming decades. That is why a

number
of plant breeders, agronomists and ecologists are working to

develop
grain-cropping systems that will function much more like the

natural
ecosystems displaced by agriculture. The key to our collective

success
is transforming the major grain crops into perennials, which can

live
for many years. The idea, actually decades old, may take decades

more
to realize, but significant advances in plant-breeding science are
bringing this goal within sight at last.

Roots of the Problem

Most of the farmers, inventors and scientists who have walked farm
fields imagining how to overcome difficulties in cultivation

probably
saw agriculture through the lens or' its contemporary successes

and
failures. But in the 1970s Kansas plant geneticist Wes Jackson

took a
10,00 year step into the past to agriculture with the natural

systems
that preceded it. Before humans boosted the abundance of annuals

through
domestication and Farming, mixtures of perennial plains dominated

nearly
all the planet's landscapes-as they still do in uncultivated areas
today.

More than 85 percent of North America's native plant species, for
example, are perennials. Jackson observed that the perennial

grasses
and
flowers of Kansas' tall-grass prairies were highly productive year

after
year, even as they built and maintained rich soils. They needed no
fertilizers, pesticides or herbicides to thrive while fending off

pests
and disease. Water running off or through the prairie soils was

clear,
and wildlife was abundant.

the approach used by people such as Masanobu Fukuoka priveliges both

organic
and no till techniques. A no till approach can be very organic,

organic
farming can be absolutely no till. He always claimed his yeilds

matched
that
of any contemporary farm in Japan. No till & organic are not

necessarily
opposing regimes.

rob

Wasn't my intent to claim exclusivity. I am just fascinated by

Jackson's
change of paradigm from annual to perennial. Additionally, the

following
paragraph must resonate with anyone who read Gun, Germs, and Steel by
Jerod Diamond. From the number of months it was number one the NY

Times
best seller list, not too many people could have escaped it.

yes, I realise you were not necessarily talking about opposing

paradigms. If
anything it was probably the original source article that differentiated
between organic & no-till, with the latter denoted as chemical spray &
synthetic fertiliser dependant. Fukuoka absolutely practised organic

based
no-till. In his view the ultimate way to grow, 'natural farming' or 'do
nothing' farming.

The matter of crop selection is also interested, and makes some sense as

how our forebears selectively bred crops. Perennials are still chosen by
backyard gardeners though. Asparagus for example.

rob

George, as you may have guess, you are preaching to the choir.

indeed, just thought I could significantly enrich the discussion by pointing
out the bleedin obvious. In addition I wanted to announce to everyone that I
have read Fukuokas work, being the know all that I am. Of a more serious
note mind, those who haven't read his stuff may be interested & can have a
look at
http://www.fukuokafarmingol.info/
and
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fukuoka_farming/files/

The yahoo group has a downloadable copy of his book One Straw Revolution
which is worth a read. There is also some stuff by Jared Diamond that looks
worthwhile. Diamond wrote "Collapse-How societeies choose to succeed or
fail". I read that earlier this year & found it a good read.

rob