Old 27-07-2007, 08:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc
Anne Chambers[_2_] Anne Chambers[_2_] is offline

Default "Red Wine headache"

'Mike' wrote:
"" This may be one reason why those sensitive to "red wine headache"
experience the problem with oaky young Bordeaux. (Too much "toast" in
the barrels.) ""

I have just picked this comment up over red wine giving one a headache. I
suffer this syndrome and thought it was 'just me' until I met others with
the same problem.

However, am I correct in saying that it is not all red wines, but those
produced in a certain way which is the problem, and if so, what do I look
for on a wine list which will be compatible?

I was out to Dinner in Coventry on Saturday and the young lady I took was a
red wine drinker, I was white. It would have been so much easier and we
could have had a bottle had we both been on red.

Thanks for any help and advice.

Mike

I find I can occasionally have a single glass of a light red and get
away with it, but a heavy red, in any quantity, *always* gives me a
migraine the next day.

White doesn't affect me much, unless I have an enormous amount -
although it takes less of a heavily oaked chardonnay to give me a headache.

I STR reading somewhere it has something to do with the amount of tannin
in the wine - I cannot remember if the oak barrels add extra tannin.

--
Anne Chambers,
South Australia