Old 27-07-2007, 09:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc
Emery Davis Emery Davis is offline

Default "Red Wine headache"

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 08:41:58 +0100
Broadback wrote:

'Mike' wrote:
"" This may be one reason why those sensitive to "red wine headache"
experience the problem with oaky young Bordeaux. (Too much "toast" in
the barrels.) ""

I have just picked this comment up over red wine giving one a headache. I
suffer this syndrome and thought it was 'just me' until I met others with
the same problem.

However, am I correct in saying that it is not all red wines, but those
produced in a certain way which is the problem, and if so, what do I look
for on a wine list which will be compatible?

I was out to Dinner in Coventry on Saturday and the young lady I took was a
red wine drinker, I was white. It would have been so much easier and we
could have had a bottle had we both been on red.

Thanks for any help and advice.

Mike

There is a simple answer, stick to rum! Alternatively drink in
moderation, two bottles of white wine give me a headache! ;-)

That's a good answer! Two bottles of anything will give me a headache
too.

Since I posted the original comment, I'll respond here.

Red wine headache is thought to come from over heavy use of sulfites
or excess of tannins, both associated with barrel aging. However many
wines are not (traditionally, although "style" is going more and more that
way) barrel aged. Most people don't get red wine headache when they
drink such wines.

To stay away from wines aged in wood, look to the Rhone valley of France,
(grenache based Cotes du Rhone), the Loire valley (cabernet franc based
wines such as Chinon), Spanish garnacha, etc. Try US wines from the
"Rhone Rangers" like Bonny Doon. Or Zinfandel. Avoid most Cabernet
sauvignon or Shiraz based wines. Most people who have the condition get
it from Bordeaux, which is usually aged in wood. Could go on and on....

Another option is to take an anti-histamine before partaking, if you have
an allergy. (I'm sure there's lots of good reasons not to do this, too).

The bottom line is that without specific information it will be difficult to know
how an individual wine is made. A reason why it is perhaps better to shop
at Berry Bros than Tesco!

-E
--
Emery Davis