Old 27-07-2007, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default glyphosate

On 26/7/07 23:16, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 18:16:28 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 26/7/07 17:02, in article
, "La Puce"
wrote:

On 26 Jul, 16:29, Martin wrote:
Read the report and all will be revealed.

Jesus Martin, which bit?! It's a huge report!! And since when do you
beleive what our
government say?! Couldn't find anything on chicken either.

Me too, what did you miss?

Miss where and what?! When I visited several food growers? I don't
really
understand what you mean. But if you think I've missed something, I
did once, when I
came to realise that some growers were certified 'organic' for some
produce, but grew
several foot away from the 'organic' crop a crop which they copiously
sprayed! That is very
naughty and that's why I have visited the places I did. Again I can't
say for certain that what
I eat is entirely 'organic' but hey, what can I do other than just not
use chemicals myself and tell
others not to.

I think what you may be missing is that 'organic' does NOT mean the use of
no chemicals but it does mean the use of 'approved' chemicals. Copper based
sprays are used on potatoes because blight is so prevalent in this country.
So 'organic' potatoes may well have been sprayed with Bordeaux mixture, for
example.

Organic rules allow the use of pesticides in extreme circumstances. I quoted
the
DEFRA rules on organic food, they are the same as those applied all over the
EU.

Yeah right.

Yeah.

It was recommendations on how to produce organic food in the third world.
How many babies died as a result?

From the OISAT recipes?! How should I know?! My point is still the
same. No chemicals equal
better chance of non poisonning. What is difficult to understand in
this?

I sympathise with attempts at the non-use of chemicals if at all possible
but you did claim that babies had died as a result of their use and now you
can't produce any evidence. However passionately you might feel about this,
it doesn't help your cause to make claims you can't substantiate if you're
trying to convert people to your way of thinking.
snip

You sum up my feelings on the subject.
The only things we eat that we know are truly organic are our vegetables grown
in our allotment. We had the ground tested to ascertain there were no nasty
residues from the time when the land was used for bulb cultivation. The ground
was absolutely clean, I expected signs of the heavy metals that the Dutch used
in bulb cultivation.

I'm very wary of the organic claims from far flung countries because I'm not
au fait with how they're inspected or set. In any case, I try not to buy
foods that have flown thousands of miles to get here. They're not only not
fresh, they're not 'planet friendly'.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk