Old 27-07-2007, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc
Uncle Marvo Uncle Marvo is offline

Default "Red Wine headache"

, I, Marvo, say :

"Anne Chambers" wrote in message
'Mike' wrote:
"" This may be one reason why those sensitive to "red wine
headache" experience the problem with oaky young Bordeaux. (Too
much "toast" in the barrels.) ""

I have just picked this comment up over red wine giving one a
headache. I suffer this syndrome and thought it was 'just me' until
I met others with the same problem.

However, am I correct in saying that it is not all red wines, but
those produced in a certain way which is the problem, and if so,
what do I look for on a wine list which will be compatible?

I was out to Dinner in Coventry on Saturday and the young lady I
took was a red wine drinker, I was white. It would have been so
much easier and we could have had a bottle had we both been on red.

Thanks for any help and advice.

Mike

I find I can occasionally have a single glass of a light red and get
away with it, but a heavy red, in any quantity, *always* gives me a
migraine the next day.

White doesn't affect me much, unless I have an enormous amount -
although it takes less of a heavily oaked chardonnay to give me a
headache. I STR reading somewhere it has something to do with the amount
of
tannin in the wine - I cannot remember if the oak barrels add extra
tannin.

I'm suddenly not feeling so bad about being unable to stand red wine.
It all tastes like vinegar to me, even some quite expensive ones I've
tried when wine lovers have told me "You're not drinking the right
ones, try this".

Do you like tea?

I can't stand the stuff, and I don't like most red wine either, for the same
reason.

Tannin. Smells and tastes awful to me. I can't sit within six feet of a cup
of tea.