Old 27-07-2007, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default glyphosate

On 27/7/07 07:58, in article , "Emery
Davis" wrote:
snip

As for the addition of sulfites, sulfite-free wine is practically
non-existant,
because a certain level is required to stabilize the wine.

Patricia Atkinson mentions adding sulfites in her autobiographies and her
wines are highly acclaimed.

Any wine that
will keep without refrigeration contains sulfites. (This is why the labelling
enforced by the US government is so annoying to winemakers.) Most
wines get their sulfites through equipment and barrel sterilization
techniques,
like the burning of sulfur in barrels. Further sulfites occur naturally in
the must,
(crushed juice and skins) although these may not be enough to stabilize.

AIUI, the more sulfites the more the chance of headaches and the cheaper the
white wine the more sulfites? Or so I was told in USA some years ago,
though not by a wine grower.
snip
--
Sacha