Old 27-07-2007, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default glyphosate

On 27/7/07 11:04, in article
, "La Puce"
wrote:

On 26 Jul, 18:16, Sacha wrote:
I think what you may be missing is that 'organic' does NOT mean the use of
no chemicals but it does mean the use of 'approved' chemicals. Copper based
sprays are used on potatoes because blight is so prevalent in this country.
So 'organic' potatoes may well have been sprayed with Bordeaux mixture, for
example.

I'm not missing it. I understand it. However, what do I have to say to
tell you all that I am
trying to eat fruits and vegs that have not been sprayed with anything
and that are
in season? Why is this so bloody wrong?! It's ridiculous beyond beleif
to try to make me feel like some kind of
allien when what I am trying to do is either try to tell people to
stop using sprays for their
crops averaging 20kg per year ... and especially those who spray
manically on anything because
I've seen it done!! There's nothing wrong with that, is there?

Nobody has said it is wrong for you to try to eat as healthily as possible.
What we are saying is that your claims that children are dying because of
the use of glyphosate appear unsubstantiated.

When it's about crops commercially grown, we start to look at massive
spraying, tons of the stuff in the USA. The
cheap labour employed there are suffering and kids are born with no
limbs, eyes etc. I have provided 5 links at the
beginning of this thread.

I beleive that if we want these suffering to stop, we must eat
seasonnal vegs/fruits and not rely on imports. Then
we must ban these chemicals, because what is ok today will not be
tomorrow. See how many chemicals have been
removed from our shops. There's a reason for that. So why give me such
a bad time for thinking what is best?

Nobody is giving you a bad time. You made a case and some others don't
agree with it. This is a discussion forum so people are discussing.

I sympathise with attempts at the non-use of chemicals if at all possible

Great. As for the babies dying, see above.

Of glyphosate on someone's garden? I don't think so. That's the problem as
far as I can see. You're painting with too broad a brush for the purposes
of the group.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk