Old 27-07-2007, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default glyphosate

On 27 Jul, 10:06, "Uncle Marvo"
wrote:
I have read that it makes more sense to fly them here than force them in
heated greenhouses here.

Indeed. Although there are many commercial growers managing to grow
toms without heating greenhouses. Growing with Grace for example do
it. Remember that if you eat local, the demands on the growers are
not as great as for supermarket flying the food. Eating non local
always mean that food has been picked up before it is ripe ... and
therefore is not as good for you as it should be. Vitamins and
minerals are also greater in a fruit/veg that has been picked when
riped.

But we all know that don't we ... I wonder if we have a 'guilty
conscience' when it comes to talking about this - about the way we
shop and eat and cook and justifying ourselves when we know that we've
bought those asparagus out of season to impress family or friends.
Obviously I and every women I know don't spend whole days cooking,
storing, bottleing and labelling hundreds of jars for winter days. We
do some, but not as much as we did say 50 years ago. That is the key
to change in my opinion, the time to reflect on our way of life, and
how we feed ourselves and our kids.

What would be doubly great is realising that the stuff we eat and
which is being flowned from miles away are produced by ruthless
corporations destroying the environment in which they produce the
stuff, using cheap labour who are suffering beyond beleif. That in my
opinion should be the key to make us all feel really crap about buying
the stuff.

That was my point in this thread.

The real answer is to eat only seasonal food, like wot we always used to.
It won't happen, sadly.

Yes it can if you really want to and you don't have to set up a cult
either ;o) It's already happening and what is
good is to hear one of your kids requesting a food and realising it's
not in season. When that happens you can be
sure that we're on the right track. I'd like to think that we're
making a difference. Feels good )