Old 01-04-2003, 02:56 PM
Motordome

Default About 20 years ago...

jammer wrote in message . ..
On 31 Mar 2003 09:03:27 -0800, (Motordome) wrote:

...my mother and I planted a climing hydrangea next to our back porch
with the hopes that it would climb up the lattice work and upwards to
cover the side of our house. That was nearly 20 years ago--I recently
went home to see my parents after a long stint in the Navy, and lo and
behold, the hydrangea had grown to terrific proportions! Not only had
it grown up and around our porch lattice, but 2/3rds of the way up our
house! At the base of the plant, it measured nearly 4" in
circumference, with a nice layer of bark around it, and it was STRONG.
My mother, naturally, has a green thumb, and I suppose she imparted
her love for gardening onto me: Now I have my own house, and I'm
thinking of planting a hydrangea so that my children can enjoy it the
way I now can enjoy my mother's...I still remember her saying, "It
will grow all the way up the lattice, and clear to the roof of the
house, given time..." I also remember thinking, "No way...that'll
take years!" Well, it's been years, and her words came
true--Unbelievable! Thanks Mom, for giving me an appreciation and a
love for the earth, and all things green! Has anyone else had a
similar experience?

Jeremy "greenthumb" Z., Maine, USA

.
Sort of. It makes me feel closer to my mom who lives far away, to
bring cuttings of her plants here. I have killed off the aloe twice
now, but still have wandering jew from her yard. Maybe you could take
a cutting from your mom's vine ?

jammer

That's a great idea, jammer!

Jeremy