Old 27-07-2007, 01:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default glyphosate

On 27 Jul, 12:33, Sacha wrote:
I do not dispute that sprays - some sprays - are bad for us.

(snip fab stuff)
It just isn't as simple as "don't use
sprays".

Yes I agree entirely, albeit the 'it isn't as simple'. It is so easy
to just say 'little me wouldn't make a difference'. Off course we can
all make a difference.

Your original reaction did smack of the evangelical, if you prefer that to
'fanatical'! I think the problem is that people are less easily or readily
convinced by emotional reactions and arguments, however they are expressed,
than by a calmer approach.

You always refer to this 'emotional' and 'calmer' approach. It's what
you read in what I write and no others have. Have you noticed that it
is after one of your post to me that others follows. I cannot remember
one post that someone has posted refering to this 'emotional' state I
might, or in any case might not, be. But that is not the point ...

Not everyone has the time or patience or
physical ability to dig. I don't But I'm lucky that I live with people who
can do the digging. But for those who can't, sprays are undoubtedly useful
and while the science is available, not everyone is going to read it or be
swayed by it. They're going to do what is most useful for them. And "even
Judith" is entirely unnecessary, BTW. Judith has children and
grandchildren, works within the medical profession and has a husband who is
a respected scientist. I think she knows more about environmental concerns
and has as much invested in them, as anyone here.

Off course. I don't deny it. Thought when Judith husband is not
around, she cannot come up with any info. She is the one using
sandwich bags and chemicals, not her husband. And as for digging,
there's no need to dig. You know that too. I think once again you are
not trying to go back to your initial 'emotional' outburst but try to
make me sound as if I am the guilty one, again. Someone using
chemicals and saying at the same time that they like nature is
ridiculous beyond ridiculous. And if you don't like my 'emotional'
state, just ignore me. It would be easier for everyone to conduct a
discussion without you having to constantly undermining what I say,
what I might not say, what I feel, etc.

We can all see the bigger picture but your reaction to one person talking
about glyphosate for his garden was extreme

I responded to Martin who wasn't the poster about the query. I did so
precisely because I didn't want to scare the poster. The fact remain
that what I said still stands.

and didn't do your pov any
favours in the way you expressed it. And I have no idea what you mean about
me making a point and not coming back to it. I have now done so twice.

I think we must leave it here. You and I won't see eye to eye, even
though sometimes I agree wholeheartedly with what you write, more than
you would imagine, there's still something not right. Sadly.