Old 28-07-2007, 09:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Cure for Knotweed?

writes
On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 19:35:24 +0100, "Robert \(Plymouth\)"
remove my other hobby to reply
wrote:

"A.Lee" wrote in message
. ..
I've been asked to have a look at some Japanese Knotweed, to see if I
can clear it.
My first reaction was 'no', as I know what a pain they can be to clear,
but I said I'd give it some thought, and get back to them if I can find
an economic way to clear it.

So, are there any tips to get rid, or should they 'call a bloke out?'

Thanks
Alan.

Either way it's a very difficult task, cover it with very dark thick plastic
and you may stand a chance

Plastic won't help - knot weed can push through thick tarmac.

I have heard that spraying at regular intervals with glyphosate mixed
at 4x the proper strength will kill it. But that would be illegal so I
can't confirm whether it works......

Since glyphosate is taken up by the plant and interferes with the
metabolic process, and needs to travel throughout the plant to be fully
effective, the logic and experience of others here is that applying in
more concentrated form lessens its effectiveness

--
Kay