Old 28-07-2007, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stephen Stewart Stephen Stewart is offline

Default Cure for Knotweed?

wrote in message
On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 19:35:24 +0100, "Robert \(Plymouth\)"
remove my other hobby to reply
wrote:

"A.Lee" wrote in message
. ..
I've been asked to have a look at some Japanese Knotweed, to see if I
can clear it.
My first reaction was 'no', as I know what a pain they can be to clear,
but I said I'd give it some thought, and get back to them if I can find
an economic way to clear it.

So, are there any tips to get rid, or should they 'call a bloke out?'

Thanks
Alan.

Either way it's a very difficult task, cover it with very dark thick
plastic
and you may stand a chance

Plastic won't help - knot weed can push through thick tarmac.

I have heard that spraying at regular intervals with glyphosate mixed
at 4x the proper strength will kill it. But that would be illegal so I
can't confirm whether it works......

Actually it can grow through 6 inch concrete as well!

I've never been able to fathom how it's possible for a plant to break
through something as strong as this but it does and I've seen it.

Weedkiller has no effect on mature foliage.

You need to spray at the start of the season as the new shoots come out and
continue as necessary.

It may take several seasons though to eradicate it according to our Parks
staff.

Stephen